How to crop/split recordings in Ableton Live.
Here’s the fastest way to crop small portions of a longer recording, for instance after recording a bunch of record samples in one long recording session.
– Make sure your recording is in arrangement view.
– Double click on the file to show it in clip view below.
– Make sure warping is off:
– Open the track view:
– Turn off the grid (Command-4)
– Listen for the part you want and select it.
– Command-E to split the file.
– Command-R to rename it (this is important – the new file you will make will have this name.
– Command-J to consolidate the audio file. This creates a new audio file in your “Current project” which you can find in Live’s browser:
Now navigate to the “Consolidate” folder in your set:
You can also right (control) click on the file to show it in your finder:
Another technique is to select the area you want in Live’s clip view, and right click to “Crop” — this has some further advantages, in that it leaves warp markers intact. But the consolidate technique is a bit faster for me.