Due to Push’s auto arming, in can be tricky to record into a MIDI track and an Audio track at the same time (for instance, when you want to play a drum or instrument part on Push, but also record in a different audio track, like your friend’s guitar, to resample some audio, record a synth or whatever).
Here’s a workaround:
1) In Live’s “Record/Warp/Launch” preferences, make sure ‘Select on Launch’ is off.
2) Select the MIDI track you want to use with Push to play your drums or instrument.
3) In Live, hold the command key and arm the audio track you want to record into. The track will not be selected if you only click on the arm icon.
With your mouse, you can trigger a clip to record in either or both the MIDI and Audio track.
New Jethroe instrumental beats album. Stream it here or click the download link (no minimum price). Pass it along/share/tweet the link if you like it.
Jethroe: Guitars, basses, beats, Ableton Push, Oberheim Xpander, Arp Avatar, Fender Chroma Polaris, Roland RS202, Studio Electronics SE1X, Roland MKS50, MKS70, Moog Opus 3, Moog Minitaur, Sequential Circuits Pro One.
Larry Kraut: Keyboard solo on “A child’s mullet”
Get in touch via email if you want to do a remix, I’ll try to make all files available.
I’ve seen some workarounds to use Maschine’s drum samples with Push, but I stumbled upon a way to use Maschine (or likely any drum plugin) with Push.
3) Load up a kit in Maschine, and click on the little triangle by the kit name to change the “Sound MIDI Batch Setup”
EDIT: For Maschine 2, things are bit different. Go to this link to learn how to set this up for Maschine 2.
For Maschine 1.X, carry on…
4) Select “Sounds to MIDI Notes” and set to C1.
Make sure there is no scene in Maschine, or you will hear those notes too. Save the preset, and you’re good (I’m sure you can customize further with macros, etc…)
Here’s a few of the movies I worked on for Push. I’m the hand model and made the music (you can download the Live 9 Set here: Push Demo.alp). That’s the smooth sound of Dennis DeSantis you hear doing the voice over. Sorry, I meant Dr. Dennis DeSantis.
Ableton Push highlights
Making beats with Push
Playing notes and chords on Push
Working with Sounds
Recording and Improvising with Loops